[deepamehta-users] State of 'Maps on our new DeepaMehta Demo Server

Matthias Melcher matthias.melcher at urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Mo Dez 3 14:51:22 CET 2012

Hi Malte,

thanks for asking. Currently the server seems to
be ok again, but just when Howard's class was
discussing DeepaMehta, there was no response
from this map or any other live demo address.

I understand the transient character of this demo service,
and I would not mind the usual procedure of flushing all
content every night, IF the import feature was fixed again
because I could then import the topics again whenever
I want to show them to important audiences and
influencers.

Note, however, that there is a difference between what
should be fixed and what should be changeable by
the visitor: For my usage scenario (which I would call
the think tool scenario rather than data storage or
collaboration artefacts scenario) it would be important
only that the user may RE-ARRANGE and CONNECT the
given demo content topics. By this, the visitor and
potential adopter could imagine how to rearrange and
connect their OWN content on their OWN local instance.

The collaboration scenario, by contrast, is still quite
distant in the future because it is very hard to make it
sufficiently robust such that nothing crucial can inadvertently
be broken (especially with the "*integrated* modeling
component").

Just now in Howard's class I also learned how much
the collaboration step is a very distinct SECOND step
taking place only after the user has been juggling around
with their mental topics on their visuo-spatial sketchpad of
STM (be it internal or offloaded to a tool like DM) -- nobody
really wants to READ other people's visual maps! So the
recommendable workflow for me is mostly that I first work
in a simple standalone environment and then share a copy
(ideally, per export/ import).
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen/ Kind regards
Matthias Melcher

Tel. (06221) 54 45 23, Fax (06221) 54 55 81
matthias.melcher at urz.uni-heidelberg.de

Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg
Universitätsrechenzentrum (URZ)
Im Neuenheimer Feld 293, 69120 Heidelberg
http://www.urz.uni-heidelberg.de/