[deepamehta-devel] a blog post on how to create a plugin and a question

Jörg Richter jri at deepamehta.de
Mi Jan 1 20:11:41 CET 2014

Hi all,

I wish you a happy new year!

On Dec 30, 2013, at 11:35, carolina wrote:

>> - I would not say relationships in DeepaMehta are *hypergraph*
>> relationships. In a hypergraph a relationship can have more than 2
>> ends. In DM it has always 2. Although one thing is special with
>> the DM data model: at a relationship's end there can be both: a
>> node (as usual), or a relationship (!). Anyway, if this structure
>> is equivalent to a hypergraph is an ongoing discussion (Jürgen says
>> yes, I say no :-)
>
> I wanted to check but actually I got those definitions from the wiki :-)
>
> https://trac.deepamehta.de/wiki/TopicsAndAssociations

Yes, "hypergraph" appears in the DM Wiki for the moment. While DM's data model shares characteristics of a hypergraph, calling it a hypergraph would, from my viewpoint, evoke wrong connotations. In particular in the DM API it is evident that a DM association has exactly *2* ends.

DM's data model is inspired by but is not an implementation of ISO Topicmaps. ISO Topicmaps are clearly hypergraphs.

Regarding the new User Guide to be written we should not mention "hypergraph". To the user this is not relevant, in particular because the DM Webclient does not (currently) expose DM's hypergraph nature. I think the new User Guide is about to replace the Wiki pages currently found under "User Guide".

Cheers,
Jörg