[deepamehta-devel] custom renderer question

Jörg Richter jri at deepamehta.de
Sa Sep 7 23:03:30 CEST 2013

On Sep 6, 2013, at 17:30, Jörg Richter wrote:

> When you want a custom **HTML** rendering for a topic the default topicmap renderer would not be suitable as it is Canvas based (it's just a bitmap, there is no DOM for the individual topics/associations).
>
> In this case I would no longer recommend to equip the default topicmap renderer with further extension points (my job) but to implement a custom topicmap renderer (your job).

Hi Torsten,

Meanwhile I see a 3rd option which I like to propose here.

We can *combine* the HTML5 Canvas rendering (which is still useful for rendering the associations) with customizable DOMs for each topic. The Canvas (that displays the associations) would be overlayed by the individual topic DOMs. (In fact this hybrid approach was used by an old version of DM as Canvas Text was not supported by the browsers back then). This way you must not implement an entire (e.g. SVG based) Topicmap Renderer. Instead I would provide you with customization hooks for the Default Topicmap Renderer. I sketched out my possible work in ticket #505:
https://trac.deepamehta.de/ticket/505

Tell me if this fits your needs.
If so, I would start implementing the customization hooks.

Cheers,
Jörg