[deepamehta-devel] PROPERTY_UNIQUE_TOPIC_NAMES

Torsten Ziegler torsten at ziegi.de
Do Okt 9 13:42:49 CEST 2008

Dear deepamehta developers

i've got a short question (feel free to answer also shortly):
The check field "Unique Topic Names" in the "Topic Type"
is it used anywhere ?
I haven't found any implementation for this (yet) in trunk 354

background (longer explanation):

As some of you might know i am working on
using deepamehta for explaining the chinese medicine.

For this I am missing some kind of hierarchical structuring
of data in DeepaMehta. So right now I am experimenting
with the implementation of new topic types that allow to
categorize topics not only by implementing new subtypes
(as this would have to be done in the Type Builder)
but by associating them to certain categories (this should be
done on the "normal" Topic Map)
And for these features I am also looking in how to make
topic names unique throughout the corporate memory
(or at least the part of cm associated to one user, or maybe
a part of the cm associated to one grand category)

To illustrate what I am looking for try to imagine this example.
I think you all know the actors and movies example from the
DeepaMehta installation.
If I add to this example a new Information about the role of an
actor in a movie there will be the three topic types
-actor
-role
-movie

while it is easy to associate actors with movies it gets complicated
if you want to specify the role of an actor in a movie.
Given there are
actor A -  role 1 -  movie x
actor B -  role 1 -  movie y
actor A -  role 1 -  movie z
actor A -  role 2 -  movie z

as role 1 (e.g. the gardener) appears several times it has to be
cloned for each movie, so the example would look like
actor A -  role 1 in movie x -  movie x
actor B -  role 1 in movie y -  movie y
actor A -  role 1 in movie z -  movie z
actor A -  role 2 in movie z -  movie z
this leads to a naming scheme that uses very long names

what I am looking in right now is to
split the associations to:
actor A -  role 1
actor A -  movie x
role 1 -  movie x
and then modify the search for related topics so that
you can get from
from actor to role and movie and vice versa,
but you should be also be able to find all actors playing the gardener
in any film.

For sure this needs then a top category attached to it,
as the gardener has different aspects in movies (e.g. the assassin)
as in agriculture. But for sure it also has some common aspects,
so the gardener should be unique throughout the corporate memory.

If you have any thoughts on this problem
I am very curious to see other aspects of this problem
or insights in side effects of my proposal.

Torsten