[deepamehta-devel] Translations DM-style

Robert Schuster robert.schuster.rs01 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 09:05:50 CET 2016

Hi alltogether,
soon I'll have the task of providing translation support to DM-managed.
In a first shot the project was realized without translation support and
in a 2nd phase this is going to be added. Of course, some design
decision had been made to make this transition smooth (e.g. not rely on
data that is later translated as keys to data.)

The data that needs to be translated can have the following form:
(I write Topic like table entries)

a) Algeria | http://link-to-a-german-article.html | 3 | 12 | 3432

or

b) Benin | Die Geschichte des Landes beginnt [...]

So what I want to indicate is that I have basically 3 types of data:
- facts, figures, statistics that do not need to be translated (a date
stays a date, some statistics value too)
- links to external resources that need to be provided in translated
form, e.g. a link to the English variant of an article)
- text in one language that needs to be provided in another directly in DM

Has anyone done something similar and can share the approach?

Is there already consensus about this?

What I am having in mind is introducing a custom association
"translation" which hosts a language specifier and which I then
associate manually with all the data that is translated. My goal is to
provide the data in DM via a REST interface. During the transformation
of the DM-data I'll follow the translation associations to provide the
translated value of an item.

Does that sound good?

All the best,
Robert

--
Robert Schuster
freiberuflicher Softwareingenieur

RS01 - IT-Systemanalyse und -entwicklung Robert Schuster
Brückenstraße 4 • 12439 Berlin
+49 157 798 00 310
robert.schuster.rs01 at gmail.com