[deepamehta-devel] Upcoming Release 4.2 - new plugin naming convention

Jörg Richter jri at deepamehta.de
Fr Feb 14 15:38:40 CET 2014

Regarding imminent DM 4.2 release here I like to announce API FREEZE.
That is when you adapt your plugin now, it will guaranteed run under 4.2. Once 4.2 is released you just need a final change to your POM (see below).

Compared to DM 4.1.3 very few plugins should require adaptions (besides the POM change). Adaption IS required when your plugin makes use of the dm4c.ui.dialog() function to display UI dialog boxes.

For DM 4.2 breaking API changes see:
https://trac.deepamehta.de/ticket/583 (dialog boxes)
https://trac.deepamehta.de/ticket/610 (dialog boxes)
https://trac.deepamehta.de/ticket/600 (Listener interface)

General release process:
1) I'll release the 2 DM distros (Standard Distribution and Karaf Distribution).
2) Following that (and provided you've adapted to breaking API) you officially release your plugin by just committing one POM change:
	- <artifactID> -- name your plugin according to new naming schema, that is add "dm42-" as a prefix
	- <version> -- remove -SNAPSHOT from your plugin version
	- <parent> -- Set "4.2" as your plugin parent dependency (removing -SNAPSHOT)
	- <dependency> -- Set "4.2" as your DM dependencies (removing -SNAPSHOT)
3) Build your plugin and upload it manually to http://download.deepamehta.de/

Objectives:
- Never rename your plugin jar file manually.
- The jar file of a released plugin must be byte-by-byte reproducable (including the jar file name) by an (automatic) Maven build process. So never have more than one commit in your plugin repo with a non-SNAPSHOT version number. This particular commit represents your plugin release. You can tag this commit.
- A released plugin must never depend on a DM SNAPSHOT modules.

DM 4.2 will be released on Sunday (16.2.)

Cheers,
Jörg