[deepamehta-devel] further developments

Torsten Ziegler torsten at ziegi.de
Di Nov 12 10:53:35 CET 2013

Hi Jörg et. al,

first thanks for the fast work,
I see there has been a huge improvement the last weeks
with the usability.

I want to comment on two emails and points that
concern me, first (still) click detection and second
usability, see below:

Am 11.11.2013 20:23, schrieb Juergen Neumann:
> a) Show pictures/thumbnails per instance
while this is no major topic for me
I see the problem with pictures with translucent areas
and the rectangular bounding box the dom model uses
for click detection. (please correct me if i am wrong with this)

> b) Display the name of the Association(Type) on the Canvas... - not to
> dream about bézier-curved arrows ... ;-)
YESSS, this would have been the next step for me too.
Arrows to associations and displaying a title, to represent more
information on the canvas (e.g. part of, child, parent etc.)
I would favor to display the title horizontally
BUT this brings my thoughts back to the click detection.
Will an association also be clickable on the arrow head or on the
title? (I prefer yes) and what happens if the title overlaps some
other canvas elements? Will placement of the association title
be dynamic so it will adjust itself to find a good spot along the
association?

As the associations are canvas drawn, how can we interact with
dom to be aware of the placement of the different things?

Two more points on the placement and click detection:

a) I think of restricting the move process of a topic on the canvas.
So when a user drags a topic with the mouse and it will bump into
another topic and shadow it it should be placed nearby (rubber band
like behavior) until the dragging leaves the shadowed topic again.
So it will be not possible for topics to overlap on the canvas.

b) Another dream of mine would be to render an association or
a topic together with an association as a cloud
-> see attached image and excuse the bad drawing

Am 31.10.2013 20:55, schrieb Malte Reißig:
> Nach folgenden Äußerungen von Jri, noch etwas zum Map-only Client:
>> Außerdem möchte ich das Webclient-Layout grundlegend verändern. Wiederum aufgrund eurer Inputs. Nicht nur Thilo und Malte würden das Detail Panel gerne abschaffen und die Topic-Details stattdessen *innerhalb* der Topicmap anzeigen.
> Die Aussage stimmt so nicht (mehr), bzw. würde ich in Kontext dieser
> Vision nicht so sagen, das nur für's Protokoll. Das PagePanel hat seine
> Berechtigung und gerade für ein "Integrated Work Environment" ist dies
> nicht wegzudenken. Ich sehe es überaus kritisch jetzt aus dem DeepaMehta
> Webclient, gedacht als Arbeitsumgebung, eine
> Arbeits-/Hybrid-Präsentations- und Explorationinterface zu zimmern, die
> beiden letzteren Varianten eines Webclients sind aus Design-Sicht
> Spezialfälle welche gesonderte Design erfordern. Der Webclient als
> Autoren und Arbeitsumgebung hat momentan andere Anforderungen, einen
> Teil davon habe ich oben in meinen Tickets benannt.
>
>> Das ist im Prinzip eine gute Idee, die u.a. den Vorteil hat, daß man
> die Details mehrerer Topics nebeneinander legen und *gleichzeitig* sehen
> kann. Als alleiniges GUI Konzept reicht das aber nicht aus.
>
>> Ich habe jetzt eine Idee wie man beide Ansätze -- In-Topicmap-Details
> und Property Panel -- vereinen kann: standardmäßig werden Topic-Details
> In-Topicmap angezeigt, auch mehrere aufeinmal.
>
> ..
> Jri hat aus meiner Sicht hier einen Misch-Masch im Visier
> ("Webclient-Layout grundlegend verändern", "In Topicmap Details" < siehe
> mein Kommentar dazu oben). Er möchte gerne Arbeits- und
> Präsentationsumgebung vereinen, ich wünsche mir das er für den Webclient
> erstmal weiter den Fokus hin zu einer Arbeitsumgebung (Integrated Work
> Environment) behält, einfach weil in naher Zukunft dann die meisten
> Use-Cases davon profitieren würden. Das sind eher Business-Style
> Anforderungen an GUI-Elemente (siehe Select-Listen, evtl.
> JavaScript-Optimierungen,

I agree with Malte,
for me it is most important to enhance the current environment
and this means the usability of the detail pane.
This means instant editing, useful (this has to be discussed further)
representation of the associations and associated topics.
If the detail pane gets coded in a way that its contents can be easily
reused in another location this would open up the way to use it in a way
like the CoolPreviews Firefox Extension to show additional (smaller)
detail panes
on mouse over on the canvas with the possibility to make them sticky
(see https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/coolpreviews/)

Just my 2 cents,
thanks for reading and keep on the good work,
Torsten

--
Torsten Ziegler www.ziegi.de www.chin-med.de