[deepamehta-devel] a blog post on how to create a plugin and a question

carolina carolina at sindominio.net
Mo Dez 30 11:35:17 CET 2013

Hi again,

I feel like I'm "talking" too much but ...

> On Dec 27, 2013, at 20:51, carolina wrote:
>
>> I've written a post explaining the steps of how to create a very
>> simple plugin in DM
>>
>> http://abriraqui.net/2013/12/27/creating-a-plugin-in-deepamehta-hackership/

Thank you for this great article! It provides a good help in making
> DM approachable for new developers! I appreciate the clear
> language and structure as well as the handcrafted illustrations.
>
> While our personal "hackership", which I enjoyed very much, I was
> not always as clear/complete as I could have been. So here I like
> to fill some of my gaps resp., relating to your article, suggest
> some improvements:
>
> - Before the introducing quote you could say that DeepaMehta is
> both, a *Webclient*, and an application development platform. (Most
> of the quote relates to the Webclient while the remainder of the
> article refers to the development platform).
>
> - The plugin directory name must not necessarily match the Maven
> artifact ID. You're free to choose any name. Anyway, it's not a
> bad idea to let these names match.
>
> - A migration does not only define the database schema. In general
> a migration transforms the DB to ensure its structure and content
> is compatible with your code.
>
> - For better readability the pom.xml contents could be indented.

The editor seems not to like xml indentation, so it gets rid of it,
I've done some trick, which is not too elegant but I've prioritized
readability

> - I would not say the project <name> is a description of the
> project (which would be more verbose) but just, exactly as you
> said, "the human readable name of the plugin".
>
> - The <groupId> must not actually be a valid URL, but a globally
> unique name under which you collect the project's artifacts. To
> fulfill the "globally unique" requirement it is best practice to
> begin the name with a reversed domain name (as you've described).
> You could use e.g. "net.abriraqui.cgc-calendar" as the group ID.
>
> - Generally in Maven the <artifactId> is the name of the generated
> .jar file (the Java binary). Within the group this name must be
> unique. Your choice ("cgc-calendar") is a good one. (So, with the
> group ID suggested above "cgc-calendar" appears twice, which is
> fine. That's because your project consist of only 1 artifact, but
> in general there may be many). Remember: the artifact ID must not
> necessarily match the plugin's directory name.
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-naming-conventions.html
>
> - I would not say relationships in DeepaMehta are *hypergraph*
> relationships. In a hypergraph a relationship can have more than 2
> ends. In DM it has always 2. Although one thing is special with
> the DM data model: at a relationship's end there can be both: a
> node (as usual), or a relationship (!). Anyway, if this structure
> is equivalent to a hypergraph is an ongoing discussion (Jürgen says
> yes, I say no :-)

I wanted to check but actually I got those definitions from the wiki :-)

https://trac.deepamehta.de/wiki/TopicsAndAssociations

> - It is a convention in DM to use underscores in URIs instead of
> dashes. So it should be e.g. "cgc.calendar.start_date". (While our
> hackership I told differently.)

nice, like in Rails, so I won't get crazy about naming :-D

> - A type's "value" property is its (human readable) *name*, not
> actually a "description" (which would possibly more verbose).
>
> - I would talk about "Event", "Start Date", and "End Date" as
> *Topic Types* (instead of Topics). The distinction is like in OO: a
> type is like a *class* while a topic is like an *instance* of a
> class. However, it is technically correct to talk of DM Types as
> Topics, because in DM Type is derived from Topic. But the more
> specific term might make things more clear for the reader
> (especially if she is familiar with OO).

This is something that I sensed but  was not sure, so it could be
added to the users guide ;-)

https://trac.deepamehta.de/wiki/TopicTypesAndAssociationTypes

> - The plugin.properties file should contain a 2nd line:
> importModels=de.deepamehta.webclient This declares your plugin
> makes use of the DM Webclient data model (namely its type
> dm4.webclient.view_config). DM then takes care the Webclient is
> installed *before* the Calendar plugin. However, this is only of
> importance if Calendar is installed along with DM (e.g. when you
> publish a custom DM distro). While our hackership I omitted that
> setting.

> - In the latter code examples indentation is a bit out of place.

yes, same problems with indentation :-(

> - At the article end: you should say that this configuration goes
> to DM's "global" pom.xml. This is found at the top-level of its
> home directory.

ups yes, I forgot to specify that

> Hmh, I feel little like a rigid schoolmaster now ;-) Your article
> is great!

on the contrary, thanks a lot for taking the time!!

best wishes for 2014 :)