[deepamehta-devel] Booster club (was: Foerderverein)

Matthias Melcher matthias.melcher at urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Di Jul 22 13:36:11 CEST 2008

Urs,

you want our comments about the idea of a Foerderverein = booster
club. I don't like it, because IMO it is the wrong focus.

There is a potentially very large audience interested in a small
core of functionality which is visible NOW, and there is another
small audience interested in the HUGE, ever ongoing project,
which is usually called the premium or pro version of a free product.

With a club, you are furthering the organizational effort for the
latter. The former, however, is very close to breakthrough: After
the recent progess of the setup and docs, it stopped right before the
few finalizing steps needed for the release, and perhaps a few more
stabilty fixes and smoothing of client experience
  http://blog.deepamehta.de/?p=73
will lead to a wide adoptance which then, in turn, will boost
the overall project.

Anyhow, my imagination of the progress is not a closed community
but an open, self-sustaining network, and one that is not limited to
Germany and its "Verein" culture.

Freundliche Gruesse / Regards - Matthias Melcher, Tel. +49-6221-54-4523