[deepamehta-devel] Possible Web Service Project

Malte Reißig mre at deepamehta.de
Do Aug 21 17:21:23 CEST 2008

Dear Developers,

first, thanks for voting on the deepamehta blog for further directions
in deepa-development. i am looking forward to the release of sun's new
jwebpane component who could bring the semantic browser application to
life, but even if this is the top answer i won't implement it, in the
near future. the web service answer with 5 votes are getting some
attention in this posting.

i don't find the right feature request for a possible, partial
web-service wrapping of the application service. since this feature
would represent a common ground for connecting,
1) the flex/as3 touch client (which i developed with matthias k.) to the
deepamehta server and
2) open up the full power of the deepamehta framework to other
programming languages out there

since flex has built in SOAP-support and REST does  just rely in the
request/ respone without messaging capabilites (a.f.a.i.k), the latter
one is more lightweight as jörg mentioned and faster to get into for
newbies like me and matthias at this field.

flex seems to support both, REST and SOAP, even if their documentation
just talks about SOAP Services which are supported, an easy google
search delivers an answer that REST is as easy to use in flex as SOAP.

Open Questions:

1) Who can serve additional information or even better, some experience
and time for us, regarding an implementation of SOAP or REST?

2) Is "Wrapping" the Application Service Interface as a Web Service the
only thing to do?

3) What kind of messaging functionalites should be integrated? And how
do this would differ from REST to SOAP The Messaging Channel seems to be
important for a collaboration real time, usage as authoring tool, or?

4) Who we could translate the current topic-scope from deepamehta with
some kind of authorization methods via web service

Possible Project List: Please feel free to adjust here in the wiki
http://deepamehta.newthinking.net/wiki/en/Aim:_Web_Service

Has someone interest to collaborate with matthias k. and me?
Is there a Feature Request similar to this, i couldn't find one?

Maybe i haven't mentioned crucial aspects for a successful web service
project, your help is very appreciated.

Cheers,
Malte